Be part of a growing volunteering team at Macclesfield Hospital as a mealtime assistant to prepare and encourage patients with their meals; chatting with patients and helping with any other jobs as requested.
1. Visit all bays and prepare the patients for their mealtime by clearing a space on their bed tables ready to receive the meal tray. Assist with the handing out of hand wipes if necessary.
2. Help to distribute the meal trays as directed
3. Encourage those patients you have been told about to ensure that the food is accessible on the tray, packets are opened and that the patient has everything they need.
4. Sit and chat to patients identified by staff who need some verbal encouragement to eat (not physical assistance)
5. Remove meal trays when instructed
6. After mealtime sit and chat to patients
7. Volunteers can also ask ward staff if there are any extra tasks they can help with e.g making beds, clearing tables, filing, running errands or collecting prescriptions from the pharmacy
Good communication skills; caring, patient and approachable with a reassuring manner.
Two references are taken from individuals who have known you for 3 years.
Pay out-of-pocket expenses for travel @ 35p per mile up to 10 miles each way or public transport and free car parking is provided
Support is available through the volunteer co-ordinator, and other hospital staff in situ
The following are provided: Statutory and Mandatory Training; Information Governance Training; Safeguarding Level 2; Feeding Training