MBSS is seeking experienced volunteers who are counsellors or skilled listeners to join our busy bereavement support service. We provide one-to-one support and active listening (not advice) to bereaved adults mainly in their own homes in the East Cheshire area. Most referrals come from local GPs or health professionals.
Qualified counsellors and experienced listeners visit adult clients in their homes to advise and support them through their bereavement, for as long as it takes.
The essential requirements of the volunteer are:
• To have previous experience either of counselling or active listening
• Ideal qualifications would be Counselling Skills Level 2 or 3 or above, or experience in working one to one with adults in a supportive capacity, for example with the Samaritans or similar.
• Volunteers will be expected to work with their own small number of clients
• To attend our monthly meetings held on first Wednesday morning each month
• Be a car driver or have access to transport as we cover a large area
• To attend all our training including sessions at Macclesfield Hospital
• All volunteers have to comply with the hospital voluntary service procedures, including a DBS and health check
Our group, which currently numbers 17, meets on the first Wednesday morning of each month for allocation of referrals and small group supervision.
Counsellors must be qualified or have equivalent experience.
35p per mile, return transfer from volunteer's home to client's.
Lone working policy very important with this type of volunteering so policies and procedures are in place to keep volunteers safe. A monthly group meeting is held to provide support to volunteers as well as one-to-one peer mentoring.
All new recruits will have a one-to -one peer mentor, and the monthly meetings provides small group supervision. A Handbook is provided and there is small reference library and regular training sessions.