Are you a morning person? Bursting with energy & raring to go at 9am? We particularly need volunteers on Monday, Tuesday & Friday mornings. You can spend 4-5 hours making a positive difference in the shop before having a well-earned lunch & relaxed afternoon!
Are you looking to develop new skills, meet new people & get a sense of satisfaction from a job well done?
We are looking for volunteers wishing to make a regular, longer-term commitment to our shops - a gift of 4 hours each week can make such a difference to our ability to thrive.
If you love charity shop shopping, interacting with others, creating beautiful displays, unpacking books, organising things or having a good tidy then this could be the role for you!
Do you have a bit of time to give?
We are particularly looking for volunteers who are available on Wednesday, Friday &/or Sunday afternoons but would welcome applications from anyone!
We would not be able to raise crucial funds for Oxfam’s emergency and development work all over the world without our dedicated volunteers, who provide their time and bring a multitude of skills.
In return, we offer personal development, valuable insight into charity retail and a friendly environment to meet new people. You can watch our volunteering video on YouTube (search for the Oxfam GB channel).
What are your key responsibilities?
Depending on the needs of the shop and your interests, you may be involved in the following:
• Providing excellent customer service.
• Selecting, preparing and pricing donated clothes, books, homewares etc in line with shop guidelines.
• Creating attractive displays.
• Promoting our Gift Aid scheme.
• Promoting our shops to the local community.
We welcome applications from those who want to work on the shop floor offering amazing customer service as well as those who may prefer to beaver away in the back hunting for treasure! And of course, there's the option to do a bit of everything.
What will you gain from this opportunity?
Our shops are fun, friendly and supportive environments plus there are usually yummy biscuits!
• is a fantastic way to meet new people and develop other relationships outside of home, work or study.
• allows you to work in a different environment and can be a way of relaxing from a busy lifestyle.
• gives you the chance to grow, build your self-esteem as well as developing skills and the confidence to use them in all walks of life.
This role will provide the opportunity to
• use and develop your skills and experience, particularly in the areas of teamwork, communication and decision-making.
• gain valuable experience in retail.
• boost your CV by gaining nationally recognised NVQ qualifications in customer service, retail and management (subject to eligibility).
• learn about Oxfam’s humanitarian, development and campaigning work.
Oxfam does not accept applications from anyone on the Sex Offenders list.
We may enquire about unspent convictions relevant to the role and you may be required to submit to DBS checks (at no expense to you).
You can find out more information about safeguarding policies on our website.
Once we receive your expression of interest we will ask you to complete our volunteer application form. We will then contact you to discuss the opportunity. Please note we do require a positive professional reference and proof of identification prior to any volunteer starting.
Thank you very much for your interesting in volunteering with us. We look forward to having you in our team!
You do not need specific skills and experience, but the following would be useful:
• Enthusiasm, flexibility and a willingness to get "stuck in"!
• Commitment to Oxfam’s values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness.
• Ability to work within Oxfam’s policies and shop guidelines.
• An interest in retail and customer service.
• Ability to work well as part of a team and under own initiative.
• A willingness to learn &/or share your knowledge.
Local travel and lunch expenses in line with Oxfam policy.
We provide ongoing support tailored to each individual. Volunteers always work with at least one other person.
We offer personal development, valuable insight into charity retail and a friendly environment to meet new people.
Please contact us prior to applying to discuss accessibility options.
We will provide training throughout the volunteering journey, including
Health and Safety
Role specific e.g. till, Gift Aid, Oxfam online shop
There is also the opportunity to gain NVQs while volunteering (subject to eligibility)