Building on excellent progress made over recent years, we are seeking an outstanding new Chairperson to oversee our Board through the next phase of GSCL’s flourishing development and growth.
This is a fulfilling volunteer opportunity to lead the Board in expanding our provision to meet the needs of the local community, both now and in the future. In doing so, you will have a major influence on the successful delivery of our exciting ambitions and be joining a committed team within a profitable, forward-thinking organisation.
You will be a commercially aware, strategic leader who appreciates the essential role that we play within our community. The new Chairperson will inspire confidence in our many shareholders and have the ability to get the best out of people, helping us move forward over the next few years and ensure that the Society remains financially strong in the long term.
With relevant experience from a not-for-profit or third sector environment, ideally with knowledge of the retail sector, you will share our passion for what we do. We are looking for someone who is based in or around the local area (Gawsworth, Congleton, Macclesfield etc) who is willing to embrace change so we can realise our significant potential. The role would suit individuals in full-time or part-time work who could devote a few hours each month to suitably fulfil the Chairperson’s responsibilities. Similarly, those with demonstrable experience who are either retired or not currently in employment are also encouraged to apply.
Key responsibilities of the Chairperson are:
• to oversee the effective and sustainable management of the business on behalf of the Society;
• to lead in establishing the strategic direction of the business as a benefit for the community of the parish of Gawsworth;
• to chair Board meetings and AGMs;
• to undertake external representation where appropriate (e.g., publicity, grants); and
• to serve as the fallback of last resort for escalation of internal issues, including conflict resolution and problem solving
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate skills and experience of:
• working in a leadership role;
• leading strategic planning activities;
• relationship building;
• change management; and
• business development.
We are particularly keen to receive applications from people with:
• experience in the not-for-profit sector;
• experience in the retail sector; and
• knowledge of the Gawsworth parish community.
Director induction training
Induction to the organisation and further training as required to fulfil the role