Our Wilmslow shop is a fun, friendly place to work. To thrive we need more Saturday volunteers to join our team.
If you love charity shop shopping, interacting with others, creating beautiful displays, unpacking books, organising things or having a good tidy then this could be the role for you!
Do you have a few hours to spare on a Saturday? There's plenty of weekend left (approximately 43 hours) for chores &/or leisure after you gift 4-5 hours towards making the world a better place! We are looking for volunteers wishing to make a regular, longer-term commitment to our shops.
We would not be able to raise crucial funds for Oxfam’s emergency and development work all over the world without our dedicated volunteers, who provide their time and bring a multitude of skills.
What are your key responsibilities?
Depending on the immediate needs of the shop and your interests, you will support the shop manager with the day-to-day running of the shop, this may include:
• Providing excellent customer service.
• Selecting, preparing and pricing donated clothes, books, homewares etc in line with shop guidelines.
• Creating attractive displays.
• Promoting our Gift Aid scheme.
• Promoting our shops to the local community.
• Efficiently operating the till.
We welcome applications from those who want to work on the shop floor offering amazing customer service as well as those who may prefer to beaver away in the back hunting for treasure! And of course, there's the option to do a bit of everything.
What will you gain from this opportunity?
Our shops are fun, friendly and supportive environments plus there are usually yummy biscuits!
• is a fantastic way to meet new people and develop other relationships outside of home, work or study.
• allows you to work in a different environment and can be a way of relaxing from a busy lifestyle.
• gives you the chance to grow, build your self-esteem as well as developing skills and the confidence to use them in all walks of life.
This role will provide the opportunity to
• use and develop your skills and experience, particularly in the areas of teamwork, communication and decision-making.
• gain valuable experience in retail.
• learn about Oxfam’s humanitarian, development and campaigning work.
Oxfam does not accept applications from anyone on the Sex Offenders list. We may enquire about unspent convictions relevant to the role and you may be required to submit to DBS checks (at no expense to you).
You can find out more information about safeguarding policies on our website.
Once we receive your expression of interest we will ask you to complete our volunteer application form. We will then contact you to discuss the opportunity. Please note we do require a positive professional reference and proof of identification prior to any volunteer starting.
Thank you very much for your interesting in volunteering with us. We look forward to having you in our team!
You do not need specific skills and experience, but the following would be useful:
• Enthusiasm, flexibility and a willingness to get "stuck in"!
• Commitment to Oxfam’s values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness.
• Ability to work within Oxfam’s policies and shop guidelines.
• An interest in retail and customer service.
• Ability to work well as part of a team and under own initiative.
• A willingness to learn &/or share your knowledge.
We reimburse local travel and lunch expenses, in line with Oxfam policy.
We provide ongoing support tailored to each individual. Volunteers always work with at least one other person.
We offer personal development, valuable insight into charity retail and a friendly environment to meet new people. You can watch our volunteering videos on the Oxfam GB YouTube channel.
Please contact us prior to applying to discuss accessibility options.
We will provide you with ongoing support and training throughout your volunteering journey. This includes a full induction and specific training on Health and Safety, Safeguarding and Gift Aid.