We have created a new position on our Board for a Communications Director. This position is essential to deliver our vision for the Gawsworth Community Shop and Hub.
The mission of Gawsworth Community Shop Limited (GCSL) is to provide a wide range of services and facilities for the benefit of the people of Gawsworth parish through the operation of a community shop and hub. GCSL is a Community Benefit Society and is operated by volunteers for the benefit of the community. Many local residents regard the shop as an essential service, particularly during the covid-19 lockdowns. The development of the hub has been put on hold, but we have an ambitious programme in place once social restrictions are lifted.
The Board of GCSL is comprised of a number of elected, volunteer Directors. The Board is responsible for overall governance and strategic direction, and for compliance with relevant legislation and regulatory requirements. The Board typically meets every six weeks, and most individual Directors have specific areas of responsibility.
The Board has created a new position for a Communications Director. The appointee will be co-opted onto the Board initially and will stand for election at the next Annual General Meeting.
The Communications Director will be responsible for external communications activities undertaken by GCSL, as required by the other Directors who already carry out communications activities, or who have communications needs, in their respective areas of responsibility. The appointee should approach the role pro-actively and will have the freedom to define the role in detail once in post, taking due account of potential areas of overlap with the other Directors. It is anticipated that the duties will include at least the following:
• to develop a communications strategy for GCSL;
• to ensure consistency of presentation across all communications;
• to promote GCSL within the community so as to increase the base of shop customers and hub users;
• to protect the reputation of GCSL at all times;
• to oversee the maintenance and development of the GCSL website;
• to maintain and develop GCSL’s presence on social media (Facebook, Gawsworth Nextdoor, Twitter);
• to support, and promote where required, events and displays;
• to liaise as appropriate with print media and some external organisations;
• to liaise with demographics not currently represented in GCSL’s management;
• to promote shop products in close coordination with the Shop Director;
• to promote hub activities in close coordination with the Hub Director; and
• to act as a resource to other Directors where communications activities are required.
If you would like to contribute to the development of our Society, please contact the Chairperson, Ray Shaw, for an informal chat via firstname.lastname@example.org.
• willingness to commit sufficient time and effort to fulfil the duties of the role
• ability to think creatively and strategically
• ability to work as part of a team in close cooperation with the other Directors
• experience in promotion and communications
• active participation in social media
• community recognition
For approved business expenses only.