Develop and manage the programme of Volunteering at Congleton Hydro, which enhances the capacity for its operational performance and its associated Educational Programme and Community Engagement Activities. Helps the organisation meet its strategic objectives
Main Areas of Responsibility:
Leadership and Coordination
• Help develop and implement a volunteer programme which generates opportunities and role descriptions based on Congleton Hydro’s operational and programme aspirations.
• Attend free training courses and networks to improve own knowledge of volunteer management
• Promote the importance and contribution of the roles of volunteers to the management team
• Embed and follow key policies and procedures, and keep to budgets.
• Embed good practice in volunteer coordination, induction, training, motivation, recruitment and safeguarding.
• Induct volunteers and deliver / organise appropriate training relevant to their role
• Monitor and review volunteers ensuring they receive sufficient support and achieve their goals.
• Act as a central point of contact for volunteers and for the coordination of volunteering enquiries.
• Familiarise volunteers with their understanding of Congleton Hydro, its audience, its services and the role of all in the organisation.
• Investigate best practice in the volunteering and community energy sectors regarding increasing the diversity of volunteers.
• Develop partnerships with external stakeholders
• Develop and maintain links with local community groups and other organisations and businesses in order to recruit volunteers.
• Raise the profile of Congleton Hydro’s Volunteer programme—acting as an ambassador.
• Ensure that Volunteers receive the appropriate level of supervision
Special skills/experience/aptitudes needed:
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with a diverse range of people
• Capacity to inspire, influence and motivate others
• An empathy with volunteers and an understanding of their needs
• Good organisational skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks
• Administrative and IT Skills
• A commitment to Equal opportunities and inclusivity
• Working with disadvantaged and vulnerable people and those with additional needs
• The role will be subject to an enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check
preauthorised out of pocket as they arise.
The Schemes “Management” are the core team of Directors and associates who founded and developed the scheme. Essentially professional engineers they provide the core expertise to oversee the business management and smooth operational performance of the system. All are unpaid.
Maintenance of all aspects of the hydro system including inlet and outlet water ways, woodland and vegetation management, provision, and delivery of the education programme etc will be undertaken by teams of suitably qualified and trained volunteers. It is anticipated that a pool of 30-40 volunteers will be required.
You will be coached and supported in all aspects of the project/scheme by this team of people. On the job and appropriate skills training will be given.