Be part of a growing volunteering team at Macclesfield Hospital as a Pets as Therapy Volunteer by bringing your dog to wards and clinics allowing them to interact and engage with patients.
The volunteer role will involve:
• visiting hospital wards/clinics with your dog to interact with the patients;
• the ability to confidently engage in talking to patients and allowing patients to spend time with your dog;
• dealing sensitively with those people who may be upset.
• Therapy dogs need to be calm and good-natured; they also need to be obedient and happy and comfortable being petted by strangers.
• Visits should be restricted to the ward bed space and communal areas
Good communication and listening skills. It is essential that dogs have passed a ‘Pets As Therapy assessment’. You do not have to have done this before applying as we can provide information and support you to do this.
Two references are taken from individuals who have known you for 3 years.
Pay out-of-pocket expenses for travel @ 35p per mile up to 10 miles each way or public transport and free car parking is provided
Support is available through the volunteer co-ordinator and other hospital staff in situ
The following are provided: Statutory and Mandatory Training; Information Governance Training