Be part of a growing volunteering team at Macclesfield Hospital as a mealtime assistant to prepare and encourage patients at mealtimes; to help distribute and remove meal trays; to chat with patients and help with any other jobs as requested.
• Visit all bays and prepare the patients for their mealtime by clearing a space on their bed tables ready to receive the meal tray. Assist with the handing out of hand wipes if necessary. (Before starting work, hands must be washed and a green apron worn. Hair must be tied back. Arms need to be naked below the elbow and no jewellery worn, apart from a wedding ring.
• Help to distribute the meal trays as directed.
• Encourage those patients you have been told about to ensure that the food is accessible on the tray, packets are opened and that the patient has everything they need. Volunteers must not feed patients or assist / prompt patients with eating (further training is required for this and a different DBS level)
• Sit and chat to patients identified by staff who need some verbal encouragement to eat (not physical assistance).
• Remove meal trays when instructed, but not Red Trays as the nursing staff will have to record food and fluid intake in the patient’s notes.
• After mealtime sit and chat to patients.
• Volunteers can also ask ward staff if there are any jobs they can help with eg making beds, clearing tables, filing, running errands or collecting prescriptions from the pharmacy.
Good communication skills; caring, patient and approachable with a reassuring manner.
Two references are taken from individuals who have known you for 3 years.
Pay out-of-pocket expenses for travel @ 35p per mile up to 10 miles each way or public transport and free car parking is provided
Support is available through the volunteer co-ordinator, and other hospital staff in situ
The following are provided: Statutory and Mandatory Training; Information Governance Training