As a Side by Side Volunteer you can support a person living with Dementia to stay independent, active and to keep doing the things they are interested in and enjoy for as long as they can.
You will help people stay connected to their communities and build their confidence to stay active and engaged in social and recreational activities. A little time makes a big difference!
What you’ll be doing:
- Participating in activities you share an interest in with a person with dementia to help them to keep doing the things they love – or pick up new ones!
- To give advice to people living with dementia and signpost them to services to enable them to live well
- Assisting and supporting people living with dementia
- Communicating regularly with the coordinator and/or lead volunteers
- Be part of the Side by Side Volunteer Team delivering high quality services and being an ambassador for the Alzheimer's Society.
This role will suit you if you:·
Want to support, enable and empower people living with dementia
· Are a good verbal communicator with great listening skills, especially face to face
· Are happy volunteering on your own and keeping in touch with your team
· Can provide a committed, flexible approach and who is willing to learn
To ensure the safety and security of people living with dementia we ask for:
· Two references & proof of identity
· To put the role into practice most effectively and to ensure a consistent service for people living with dementia this role is recommended to continue for at least 6 months.
· Essential learning to be completed before starting in your role will take about two and a half days - this will include face-to-face information sessions and e-learning modules.
· You will need to complete an enhanced without barred list DBS or Access NI check, in line with the legal requirements. A criminal record will not necessarily stop you being able to carry out this role.
Out of pocket and Travel Expenses are paid in line with the Alzheimer's Society Policy
We will make you feel welcome, included and respected
· Training, guidance and support to ensure safeguarding and service standards
· You’ll have a role manager who will support you throughout your journey with us
· Out of pocket expenses (e.g. travel) agreed before you start in line with our policy
· We’ll keep you up to date with relevant policies and procedures that apply to your role
· You’ll have access to learning, development and engagement opportunities for volunteers
Mandatory Training includes Welcome Training, Data Protection, Confidentiality, Safeguarding,.
Introduction to Dementia, Dementia Friends, Role Specific Induction
Along with access to a wide range of elearning all of which supports your Continued Professional Development