Yoxall Village Hall, Haslington needs a Treasurer to maintain auditable financial records, be the named contact for bank accounts, insurances and utilities and keep our community asset going once the current Treasurer retires.
The Yoxall Village Hall Treasurer maintains accurate records for the Hall finances, which are audited each year for submission to the Charities Commission. The Treasurer makes sure that income from Hall Bookings and investments meets the demands of Hall running and maintenance and is part of a team of Trustees ensuring that the local community benefit from a reliably and transparently, well run asset at the heart of Haslington.
Balance Sheets & Account Records:
• keep the account book up-to-date with details of income and expenditure
• make balanced financial reports to the Yoxall management committee each quarter (meeting on a Monday evening)
• advise the committee regarding money available for maintenance and other programmes
• prior to the AGM, prepare end-of-year balance sheet with categories of income, expenditure, interest etc
• prior to the AGM, arrange for the accounts to be audited by an independent auditor
Reconciliation of Bank Statements:
• make sure any payment is planned and can be met by funds in current account
• keep track of deposits and payments clearing
• record money paid into Yoxall account (cheque / cash / bank transfer), including money received by the Hall Bookings Clerks from multiple regular and one-off hirers of Hall
• help Bookings Clerks with invoicing and receipting Hall hire charges, chasing up non-payment if required
• record payments from the Yoxall account (cheque / bank transfer / direct debit / cash)
• joint signatory on Yoxall bank account, paying invoices
• ensures the Hall and its trustees are adequately insured, including for employer's liability, and for any liability that might arise from voluntary maintenance work undertaken
• deals with any insurance claims required
The Treasure is also a member of the Building Sub-Committee who meet every 4-8 weeks (by mutual arrangement) and are responsible for:
• monitoring utility bills for accuracy and value
• maintenance e.g. cleaning, window cleaning, decorating, gardening - arranging for work and subsequent payment
The Treasure is also a member of the Finance Sub-Committee who meet 1-2 times a year (by mutual arrangement) and are responsible for:
• monitoring and recording dividends and interest on Hall investments
• withdrawing capital from Hall investments for agreed major expenditure
• make proposals for investing excess income for future spending
• advising Yoxall Management Committee annually on Hall hire fee levels
Must be honest, numerate, financially literate and have good IT Skills (spreadsheets, calendars, e-mails).
Must have good access to internet. A printer would be useful.
Must be able to communicate clearly.
Preferably, holds an accounting qualification, but must have experience and knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management.
Must understand or be willing to learn about Accounting and Reporting by Charities.
Must act within general Charity Commission Guidance for trustees.
The Treasurer is part of a larger Committee of Trustees and will act in cooperation with them and members of the Buildings and Finance Sub-Committees.
Hand-over from current Treasurer who will be available for help and advice for some time.